Our Commitment to Privacy.
What Information is Collected
(a) Information You Provide to Us:
We collect the Personally Identifiable Information you choose to enter on various pages of our website, or that you may choose to give us in some other way (such as by email, physical mail, or by telephone). For example, you will be asked to provide Personally Identifiable Information when you register for access to certain portions of our website, sign up for newsletters or mailings, or make a purchase.
The types of personal information that we seek to collect from you, for purposes of our website, include your first and last name, e-mail address, physical address, and telephone number, along with any other related relevant information (referred to herein collectively as “Personally Identifiable Information”).
You can choose not to provide certain information, but you may not be able to take advantage of our services and features.
(b) Automatic Information:
When you visit a website, you disclose certain information, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and the time of your visit. This site, like many other sites, records this basic information about visits to our site.
(c) “Cookies, Pixels and Tracking”:
Cookies are pieces of information that are transferred to your computer from a web server.
Below, we provide a summary these activities.
- Cookies. These are small files with a unique identifier that are transferred to your browser through our websites. They allow us to remember users who are logged in, to understand how users navigate through and use our website, and to display personalized content and targeted ads (including on third party sites and applications).
- Pixels, web beacons, clear GIFs. These are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, which we use to track the online movements of users of the website and the web pages of users of our Ad Services, and to personalize content. We also use these in our emails to let us know when they have been opened or forwarded, so we can gauge the effectiveness of our communications.
- Analytics Tools.We may use internal and third-party analytics tools, including Google Analytics. You can learn more about how to opt-out of tracking in Google Analytics here. The third-party analytics companies we work with may combine the information collected with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online products and services. Their collection and use of information is subject to their own privacy policies.
Most browsers are set up to accept cookies, but you can change your settings to have your browser notify you when you receive a new cookie. You can also change your settings to refuse to accept cookies.
What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off.
Publishing Content (Comments, Pages, Posts, Forums)
- Your Profile Picture (Gravatar), Display Name, Website (URL) (if any) and Biographical Info (if any) may be visible to visitors to the website (e.g. if you leave a comment, forum post, or contribute an article/post).
- If you author an article/post, your Username, User ID, Profile Picture (Gravatar), Display Name, Website (URL) (if any) and Biographical Info (if any) are provided to any visitor using the website’s REST API interface.
- If you upload media (e.g. images) to the website (in forums, posts, or comments), you should avoid uploading images with EXIF GPS location data included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data included in images on the website.
- Visitors using the website’s REST API interface can correlate uploaded media to a user. This may allow such visitors to map a user to a time and location if EXIF GPS location data was included in the uploaded media.
- If you edit or publish an article/post, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
- When visitors leave comments on one of our sites we collect the data shown in the comments form, and the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- Comments may require manual approval by one of our employees or site owners.
- If you leave a comment on a site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies so we can recognize you as a commenter. These cookies will persist for one year.
- Published content and comments are stored indefinitely unless deletion/removal is requested by the original author.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Links to the privacy policies of the most common services have been included below.
How and When the Information is Used
The information we collect is used for administering our business activities as follows:
(a) to improve the content of our website;
(b) to customize the content and/or layout of website pages for each individual visitor;
(c) to notify consumers about updates to our website; and
(d) to contact consumers for marketing purposes for our own business purposes.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please adjust your user preferences in your account profile.
How We Protect Your Information
The privacy and protection of your information is important to us. We offer some of our services in connection with other websites. The affiliated websites may have different privacy practices, and we encourage you to read their privacy policies. Your access to some services and content is password protected. We advise that you do not disclose your password to anyone. In addition, we recommend you sign out of password-protected services at the end of your session. You should also be aware that if you voluntarily disclose Personally Identifiable Information on message boards or in chat areas, that information can be viewed publicly and can be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited messages from other individuals or third parties. Such activities are beyond our control and the control of this policy, and you agree to waive any claim against us for liability arising from the foregoing activities.
Information about our users is important to us. Access to your information may be provided to third parties who help us perform the services on our website and third parties who provide technical support for the operation of our website. In addition, we may sell our business or buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, user information may be transferred along with other assets. We may also disclose your information in response to a court order, and we may disclose your information when we believe we are required to do so by law. We may disclose your information in connection with the collection of amounts you may owe to us and to law enforcement authorities whenever we deem it appropriate or necessary. Please note we may not provide you with notice prior to disclosure.
What Data Breach Procedures We Have In Place
Should any event occur where customer data has been lost, stolen, or potentially compromised, our policy is to alert our customers via email no later than 48 hours of our team becoming aware of the event. We will also report such incident to any required data protection authority. We will work closely with any customers affected to determine next steps such as any end-user notifications, needed patches, and how to avoid any similar event in the future.
This website does not provide services or sell products to children under the age of 18.
If we discover we have received any information from a child under the age of 18 in violation of this policy, we will delete that information immediately. If you believe we have received any information from or about anyone under the age of 18, please contact us at the address listed below.
Links to Other Websites
How You Can Access Your Information.
If you have a user account with the Website, you can review and change your available personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You can request access to all your Personally Identifiable Information maintained by us by contact us at the address listed below. Upon request we offer you the ability to have inaccuracies corrected in our records of your Personally Identifiable Information. You can have this information corrected by sending us an e-mail at the address listed below.
We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Website, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or might have been copied or stored by other Website users.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, contact us at the address listed below.